Carla Holden is the founder of Her Business Boutique. She helps women set up successful marketing campaigns for their online businesses.
In this episode, we discuss…
- The highs and lows of pursuing a career in music, including the gigs and ways she supported herself while recording an album.
- The skills she developed to be a successful entrepreneur.
- How she got first paying client for her business at a networking event.
Find Carla online
Career advice to her younger self
Be fearless, be bold, go stronger, and be more out there than you think. Instead of being hesitant or holding back or being careful, whatever you are planning to do, do that times ten. Just go way bigger, go way beyond, be way more pushier. Go full force.
My Thoughts After the Conversation
What I learned
I learned that most of us can sing as long as we have pitch. We might not sound like Beyonce, but we probably won't sound like Cameron Diaz in My Best Friend's Wedding either.
Up-level your game
As an entreprenuer, Carla has figured out that having a deadline and announcing it publicly is key to being able to focus and getting things done.
However, public accountability may not work for you. Gretchen Rubin, an author and podcast host, has spent years researching the topic of human behavior and habits and wrote a book on the topic, The Four Tendencies. The Four Tendencies are personality types that explain how we operate at work, at home, and in life. Links to the book and some additional resources related to the four tendencies – including a quiz to discover your tendency – is included below in the “Mentioned in the Episode” section.
I want to hear from you, Standouts!
When Carla was a dog-walker, she once walked the wrong dog for an entire week! 👀 #PoorTrouble. What mistake did you make at work that you can now look back and appreciate how funny it was?
To share your story, record a 30-60 second audio clip and either email or upload the audio file to Dropbox. Full instructions are here. Responses will be compiled into a special 5-10 minute episode in the future.
If Carla was a song, she would be…
Mentioned in the Episode
- The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better by Gretchen Rubin*
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin podcast
- Gretchen Rubin on the Good Life Project podcast
- The Four Tendencies Quiz
- Knitting Factory Hollywood closing its doors
- Baby Boy by Beyoncé featuring Sean Paul
- Movie: Legally Blond
- Dr. Pat Allen
- The 48 Hour Funnel by Carla Holden
- Dremu Emu Oil 😳
- True Crime + Investigation Discovery (ID) Channel (shows she mentioned): Wives With Knives, Evil Twin. Carla also likes 20/20, Dateline, Snapped, 48 Hours, 48 Hour Mystery.
- Apple Music app
- Marco Polo: Website | iOS app | Android app
- Instagram: Website | iOS app | Android app
- Waze: Website | iOS app | Android app
- Kindle: iOS app | Android app
- Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists by Lisa Nola*
*An asterisk means the item is an affiliate link. Click here to learn what that means.